What Today's Music is Teaching our Children about Self Respect and Relationships

I am posting this blog knowing that parents ultimately have the responsibility of shielding their children from inappropriate music and videos.

However, I do believe in the idea that it takes a village to raise a child.  When I was a child, radio stations were not allowed to play certain songs, because of the content in those songs.

Many times I am driving in the car with my children and we can't listen to the R&B / Hip Hop stations because of the inappropriate content and ideas in the lyrics of the songs they choose to play. I also have to change from the Pop Stations often times for the same reason.

It seems like everytime I turn on the radio I have to hear about someone fucking or getting high.

Here are just a few songs that I won't allow my children to listen to & what I took from it that made me decide this.

"Take all of me / I just wanna be the girl you like, girl you like / The kinda girl you like / Is right here with me" Lyics to "Partition" by BEYONCE
What these lyrics say to me: Take all of me, so I can be the girl you like. Not the girl you love, not the girl you respect, not the girl you want to have a relationship with or marry. Just the girl you like.
"Drunken Love" is also banned in my household.

"Girl, take pride in what you wanna do / Even if that means a new man every night inside of you" -
Lyrics to "Remember You" song by WIZ KHALIFA
What these lyrics say to me: Let a bunch of different guys bang you out every night, but give this one something to remember...& that's all he'll give you too...& hopefully that's not an STD.

"If you a lame, nigga you ain't making no noise / Get faded, turn up with the big boys / Live fast, die young that's my choice" -Lyrics to "2 On" by Tinashe
What these lyrics say to me: I'm just going to make this look fun & maybe I'll eventually overdose or something so I won't have to deal with life, or my irresponsible behavior.

"Gotta stay high all my life / To forget I'm missing you / Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh
Pick up daddies at the playground / How I spend my daytime / Loosen up the frown, / Make them feel alive / I'll make it fast and greasy / I'm numb and way too easy
You're gone and I gotta stay / High all the time"
"Habits" by TOVE LO.
What these lyrics say to me: I'm pathetic and wallowing in self pity, because I'm not strong enough to move on with my life.

"I gotta missed call from your bitch / She been plotting on me for a cool minute / She wanna' suck my dick, and I'm cool with it / I like her in the shower, when it's wet and fresh / It's that twitter pussy I met on the internet"
"Don't Tell 'Em" by Jerimih ft YG.
Too explicit. It leaves nothing to the imagine. Unromantic and trashy. This is what they want to brainwash our sons to think about girls.

"Blowing up a nigga phone, what I tell yo ass 'bout that? / Tryna hold something, hold my nuts, can you do that? / Can you play around with that mouth while he hit it from the back? / You can't say nothing now 'cause we all been through that.... So what you saying, hoe?
You Know I'm the man, hoe?...Hit her on yo mattress, make her feel some type of way / Pass her to my amigos, they gonna bust it, ándale...It ain't nothing to cut that bitch off"
K Camp, Cut Her Off
Same as above. Smh.

There are so many others that it's sad. If you notice, radio stations play the same handful of artists and songs repeatedly. This is because studies have shown that familiarity seems to be the most important factor in making people "emotionally engaged with music." In other words, repeatedly playing a song will eventually result in the listener liking the song or wanting to listen to it again. Which will probably increase the likelyhood that they'll buy it. But if repetition can brainwash people into liking a song, what is the influence of the lyrics being repeated over and over again to our youth?

The music industry is trying to brainwash our sons to be dogs and our daughters to be easy, while so called feminist are busy complaining about graphic tees and people who  slut-shame. Really?

Nita Michelle

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.