The USA's Dirty Obsession with Beauty

We already know how hard our society can be on a lady. If you gain too much weight, your fat. If you lose too much weight you have an eating disorder. If you're too pale, you need a tan. But if your too dark, you might want to try some skin lighting cream. Dye your hair light in the spring, dark in the fall. No split ends, no white after labor day, no blemishes on your skin, no creases around the mouth, stay up on the latest fashions, make time to exercise, wax, wax, wax and still get the kids to school on time. I mean, $%*-Damn! It's down right crazy. But it doesn't end there.

These days looks even affect who can run for president. When article, after article, and blog, after blog, bashed Chris Christie, stating that he wouldn't be a good candidate for presidency because of his weight, he announced his decision NOT to run. As I watched on the news, the reporter basically said that Americans would much rather vote for a better looking, non-fat candidate. I honestly expected someone to report the next day, that the story which aired the night before had been prejudiced, or that it displayed some sort of discrimination. That did not happen. There were no apologies.



I didn't really think about the Chris Christie situation again until this past Monday. On Monday night, I watched a news report about a woman in her fifties who gets botox and other non-surgical cosmetic treatments to make her feel, "beautiful and like herself again." The article was about how to get those types of treatments in the struggling economy that we live in. It basically talked about cutting back on certain things to be able to afford the treatments. As I watched I thought to myself, "Man, people really are THAT worried about their looks." I'm still trying to figure out why totally unnecessary, cosmetic procedures were even a topic in a category about finances and budgeting. I found it a little annoying that a report which started out about savings, ended up being about cosmetics. That's not even something that people need.

Last night, I watched a news story about a 13-year-old whose parents allowed her to get a nose job, because people were saying she had a big nose on Facebook. Number one: why does she have a Facebook page at thirteen? Number two: What the hell is up with her parent's judgement? I was disgusted with them.

Moving on: If you hate working out at the gym and getting those embarrassing sweaty spots on your shirt, right under the arm pit, there's a solution to your problem; Sweat-Lipo. You can now become (almost) sweat free by getting this treatment. If it's needed for medical reasons I understand, but what I don't agree with is the statement that sweating, "is socially a problem..." I wonder how many thirteen year old girls will be asking their rich parents for this?


I was really bothered by the above stories even being reported on the news. However, what bothered me the most out of everything I've been reading and seeing lately, is something that I heard on The View and read in a recent article. Andrea Peyser had posed a question about whether or not Amanda Knox and Casey Anthony, were too pretty to convict. I would like to think that the media's hype of these two free criminals, and the constant appearance of their faces on the web, is not what set them free. What about Meredith Kercher and Caylee Anthony? Are they not pretty enough for justice? My personal opinion, Amanda & Casey are not too cute for jail and they will both probably end up there again. Caylee was an adorable little girl and Meredith looks better than Amanda anyway. I also wish Meredith's family good luck in their continued pursuit for justice.

I admit, that I myself, like to look my best. Who doesn't? It seems that our country poisons it's people into believing that if they do not possess a certain level of beauty, they can possibly fail in life. Pretty people succeed and pretty people are happier. You can Google that. When you do, you'll find that it doesn't just happen in the USA. I just we could have more news during the news hour, and less stories about looking better.

Here's an interesting, rather old article: Looking Good: The Psychology and Biology of Beauty

Nita Michelle

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.